Sunday, September 21, 2008

Farmers' Market

Hey, had a ball yesterday when I decided to take an hour and 20 minutes to explore the farmers' market on the capital square in Mad-town. Went against the flow of foot traffic no matter what way I chose to go but it turned out except when I almost tumbled over a wagon tongue because of my bi focals. Whew. That kid would have been surprised as would his cauliflower.

I was on the lookout for apples and flowers and cauliflower. I got peppers (both green and mild), apples, broccoli and cauliflower plus a tiny bouquet of straw flowers. It was fun and the cauliflower grown locally was 1/4 the price of the one at Whole Paycheck the day before that I luckily weighed before purchase. I carried my own bag and only took a 20 and brought home 5 so did really good.

I tasted a few really good bites of horseradish cheese but resisted the high price per pound. I love the flavor of the market and the music and the $1 cup of good free trade coffee made me wake up instead of lay on the grass and look up at the trees as I was tempted to do.

As I made my way back to the car I felt really proud of my purchases and look forward to eating them this next week. I would love to go every week instead of to the grocery store. It is like a throwback to the 60's for me. Good food and open air with music and flowers ...well, that is why we were called the flower children, huh?

No comments: