Friday, February 11, 2011

Dal and Rice


I searched long and hard for Red Lentils and bingo Pierces had them for $2.99 per pound. Oh well, I didn't have to drive to the City or wait until I was there anyway. Yippeee!


Onions, yum!


Adding mega spices, some oil and cooking it all up ...smells delish. I cooked the Basmati rice while it melded into a wonderful consistency.


This is my bowl before I scarfed it! Oh lovely...
Here is the recipe:

1 medium onion, chopped
1 small hot pepper, minced
5-6 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 cup of oil (olive is what I used)
1 cup small red lentils
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon coriander
1/8 teaspoon cardamon
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/8 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon hot curry powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
7 ounces of Cream of Coconut

1.) Place onion, garlic and hot pepper in a pot, cover with the oil (be generous
with the oil; they should swim in it) Let all of it simmer, about 5 minutes. Add lentils and stir.
2.) Add spices, stir and add enough water to cover the lentils. I began with one quart.
3.) You will have to watch it because it cooks down and you add more water until the dal is the correct consistency that you like. I cooked mine for 45 minutes and added water twice about a cup or two. Stirring often is a good idea.
4.) Taste and adjust seasoning. Add the 5-7 ounces of cream of coconut and stir.

Serve over Basmati Rice.

If you do not like the coconut flavor then just omit it. If you really like it then top with toasted coconut.

No comments: